- Two well-established experts in musculoskeletal imaging (including the first fellowship-trained MSK radiologist in Peoria)
- Long-term relationships with orthopedics groups in Peoria, Pekin, and Galesburg
- First site in Peoria to do MRI of joint replacements
- First site in Peoria performing PET/CT bone scans, a new technique that is the most sensitive test for osseous metastases
- Proven expertise in MR arthrography and musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Four fellowship-trained neuroradiologists, including one dedicated to providing subspecialty neuroradiology interpretations on STAT cases during after-hours coverage.
- Two neuroradiologists with experience in neuroangiography
- Providing full range of subspecialty diagnostic neuroradiology, including CT and MRI perfusion, MR spectroscopy, and diffusion tensor imaging
- Expertise in head and neck imaging and ophthalmologic imaging
- CAQ certifications
- Key providers for stroke team diagnosis and therapy
- Advanced brain tumor evaluation
- Three fellowship-trained nuclear medicine physicians, including two hired in 2014.
- We are currently expanding into interventional oncologic treatment, having begun Yttrium-90 catheter-directed radioembolization therapy — a combination treatment using both our nuclear medicine and interventional radiology expertise.
- As the first site in Peoria performing SPEC/CT for parathyroid disease, our clinical outcomes have established our practice as the preferred site for diagnosis and pre-surgical planning.
- In the future, we have positioned ourselves to build upon our reputation as the regional leader in nuclear imaging and PET.
- Four fellowship-trained body imagers focused on utilizing low-dose protocols for routine and high-level, cutting edge CT imaging exams.
- Incorporating the results of up-to-date research trials and working closely with area gastroenterologists and colorectal surgeons to provide the highest level CT Colonography and same-day polypectomy.
- Currently, we are the regional referral center for MRI enterography, routinely seeing patient referrals from outside of the tri-county region.
- Offering MRI defecography — the only practice in the region performing this study…
- Instituted low dose CT (LDCT) lung cancer screening program according to ACR center of excellence standards, utilizing multidisciplinary approach, including our own team of Interventional radiologists/body Imagers to identify, diagnose and treat high-risk lung cancer patients.
- Offering patients and referring physicians the highest level of care in imaging guided ablative therapies that cover the gamut of multiple organ systems and disease processes.
- We offer prostate MR with 3 Tesla magnets and surface coils for high-resolution screening and staging for clinically significant prostate carcinoma. We use an MR fusion platform with ultrasound to allow for targeted prostate biopsy.
- Our team consists of three experts in nuclear cardiology, two experts in cardiac CT and two experts in cardiac MRI.
- Specialists on our team contain 10 years experience with cardiac MRI.
- We recently acquired and have successfully implemented SPECT/CT nuclear cardiac imaging. As a result, General Electric currently describes our group as a market leader in application of this technology. In addition, GE is using our results in their promotional effort
- We offer a full range of cardiac imaging, including: nuclear cardiology with SPECT/CT, coronary calcium screening, preablation pulmonary vein mapping, and CT angiography of the coronary arteries.
- Our team is an integral part of multi-disciplinary chest pain teams.
- Five dedicated, fellowship-trained, board-certified radiologists who specialize in after-hours emergency radiology imaging, and providing reads in neuroradiology, body imaging, and MRI.
Vascular and Interventional Radiology (VIR)
- Three fellowship-trained vascular and interventional radiologists, and two body-imagers, who perform nonvascular image-guided interventions, comprise our IR Team.
- Our VIR Section offers a full spectrum of vascular and non-vascular minimally-invasive interventions which have been shown to be cost-effective, result in a decreased length of hospitalization and faster recovery.
- The list of procedures we perform includes, but is not limited to, the following categories: arterial interventions including carotid, visceral and peripheral stenting, aortic and peripheral stent grafts for aneurysmal disease, embolization for trauma and hemorrhage, catheter-directed arterial thrombolysis, uterine fibroid embolization; venous interventions including vena cava filter placement and retrieval, venous access, dialysis access thrombectomy, catheter-directed venous thrombolysis, venous recanalization/stenting, varicocele embolization, pelvic congestion syndrome treatment, varicose veins ablation, treatment of portal hypertension including TIPS; oncologic interventions including percutaneous tumor ablation, chemoembolization, radioembolization; gastrointestinal access for feeding and decompression; genitourinary interventions including nephrostomy and ureteric placement; biliary interventions including drainage procedures and stent placement; diagnostic biopsies and drainage procedures.
- The IR Section has a fully functioning outpatient clinic where we see our patients prior to treatment and follow them longitudinally after an intervention.
- We provide a full range of imaging services for newborns, infants, children and adolescents using imaging techniques specially adapted for use with children. The examinations are closely monitored or performed by radiologists, keeping in mind the principle of ALARA (As low as reasonably achievable) by using the lowest radiation dose possible. We have a child life specialist who is a trained pediatric professional that is available to help children cope with challenging imaging examinations.
SMI has experienced breast imagers who practice all aspects of breast imaging and intervention. We offer tomosynthesis (3D mammography), breast ultrasound and ultrasound guided breast intervention, with state of the art ultrasound equipment. In addition, we offer breast MRI, and use two state of the art 3 Tesla magnets for breast cancer screening, and breast cancer staging. As a result, we can evaluate hard-to-assess abnormalities seen on mammography. Also, we evaluate lumpectomy sites following chemotherapy treatment in patients receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy, breast implant evaluation, and MRI-guided breast biopsy. We are also ACR accredited.
- Our physicians work closely with area breast surgeons and oncologists to provide state of the art services in breast cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment to the Peoria area community
We work with plastic surgeons using 3-D MR imaging to provide them with a vascular “road map.” For that reason, we create improved efficiency and design of breast reconstruction flaps for breast cancer patients who have had a mastectomy.
- We provide a full range of sonographic imaging, including OB, pediatric, vascular, musculoskeletal, breast and body imaging.
- We work in conjunction with nuclear imaging to provide a comprehensive approach to thyroid disease. As a result, our process includes patient and physician consultation, diagnosis, and therapy in one location
Leadership, Education & Outreach
- SMI has three members who are fellows in the American College of Radiology, one of the highest honors the American College of radiology can bestow on its members. In addition, we have recognition as a fellow of the ACR, demonstrating a history of service to the College by organizing Radiology, teaching or researching. Approximately, 10% of ACR members will achieve this distinction.
- We feature two former presidents of Illinois State Radiology Society.
- Our team consists of a current board of trustees member and a president of medical staff at Pekin Hospital.
- We feature a former president-elect of medical staff at St. John’s Hospital in Springfield.
- Our team contains an oral board examiner for American Board of Radiology.
- We have active participants in medical education who provide one-on-one teaching of medical students and family practice residents. In addition, we have specialists who do monthly lectures to Radiology Department technologists